At the same time as framing was happening upstairs, construction of the downstairs continued. Bathroom 3 began to take shape, the walls of Bedroom 3 were framed, and the stairs became stairs! The area to the right of the stairs (when going down them) presented itself as a design challenge to resolve.
Two walls in Bedroom 3 have concrete as their finished wall surface. It was hard to appreciate how great they would look until framing began.
Also included are a few photos of the house from the rear, both looking up and an overview from a short distance. A lot happened in February!
The weather in February was spectacular. No rain, which is bad for California, but great for construction. The wood subfloor was put on over the joists. Next came framing of certain walls. Structural steel happened early in the month – this holds the nana folding door systems. Pretty exciting to have I-beams in our house! Framing continued. I did not know that walls were built first on the ground, then raised and set in place. It makes perfect sense.
As the rough openings were built for various windows, we had the opportunity to see the views from those openings for the first time. The ceiling heights also were coming into shape and both Bob and I were happily surprised by how tall they are, especially in Bedroom 2 upstairs facing the street. Heather Campbell, our architect, is really gifted at creating beautiful spaces that feel voluminous while having a small footprint.
Plywood sheeting started next, some of it providing sheer, some of it for blocking.
All of this happened in the first half of the month – I was amazed at the speed. Instant gratification is the name of my game so I really enjoyed this part of the process!
Early in the month, the concrete garage facade was poured and the wood forms removed – looking great! Wood forms were set for the interior concrete walls at the lower level – this veneer of concrete is the finished surface. A temporary wood “stair” was set up where the future stairs are to go. The garage floor was set up for concrete, and then poured and covered with protection.
SR Freeman, the framers, arrived mid month. They got to work right away setting the ledgers that hold up the floor system. Bob and I spent a lot of time at the site watching the progress. By the end of the month the main floor plate was framed, which was a major step forward. Due to having concrete walls for our lower level, the initial construction stages took much longer than if those walls had been framed in wood. Wood framing is a more traditional style of construction. Framing goes quickly and is very exciting. At the end of the month, it was fun to have the first sense of the lower level as an interior space.